Outthinker is a growth strategy consulting firm.
We train leaders to innovate and strategize in an agile, digital, purpose-driven world.
The Outthinker Process® is a refined and proven strategic methodology we’ve developed and used to enable 300+ corporate teams across the world. This method gives your team the tools to achieve strategic clarity, accelerate growth rates 100-120%, and most importantly, establish a culture of innovative thinking.
Predictable strategies produce mediocre results. Don’t be mediocre. Be an Outthinker!
[Outthinker] provides practical methods to systematically analyze and intelligently manage the competition. This does not mean copying or even responding to the competition. It means precisely the opposite.
Marc Speichert, CMO, L’Oreal USA (now Managing Director, Google)
What we Offer
Our Outthinker Process Workshop takes participants through an intensive training to learn how to think innovatively and execute their ideas. We teach this process while addressing strategic issues you want people to focus on within your organization. Our unique IDEAS framework leverages 36 strategic patterns that our researchers have identified as being utilized effectively across the world’s most innovative companies.
Who Needs This
Business unit leaders and their teams seeking repeatable ways for their teams to produce and execute innovative ideas for growth.
The Outthinker Approach
- Modern: Rather than repeat standard business school cases, you will learn through fresh, modern-day case studies, highlighting successful strategies used by today’s most successful companies (e.g., Amazon.com, SpaceX, Uber)
- Conversation: We don’t teach strategy as a plan on a shelf but as a living conversation that you can manage the outcome of by introducing new language
- Narratives: Instead of teaching strategy as static concepts, we present them as “strategic narratives” to help participants immediately recall and apply what they learned to solve strategic problems real-time
- Memorable process: While strategy often is presented as complex, we show it to be a natural, human activity you can manage using the Outthinker Process, a simple 5-step approach you can use to approach any business challenge innovatively
What Your Teams Learn
- Easy and repeatable method to identify the right strategic goals
- Fast and easy method to generate Winning Moves to support strategic goals and advance existing strategy projects
- Logical system to prioritize and organize Winning Moves
- Communication tactics to gain organizational buy-in for innovative strategies
- How to think more innovatively and strategically about any business challenge
Outthinker Process Workshop :: Agenda Overview
|Discussion :: modern-day case study|
|Imagine :: define future context and goals for company-specific challenge|
|Dissect :: identify strategic leverage points|
|Expand :: learn strategic narratives to generate hypotheses|
|Analyze :: clarify disruptive priorities|
|Sell :: build buy-in, alignment and execution|
Outthinker Consultants Facilitate
- Top-tier strategy consultants with deep, relevant, operational expertise are rigorously trained in the Outthinker Process and guide your teams through the day.
Outthinker Process Workshop Deliverables
- 2-5 Winning Moves, disruptive ideas for immeditae implementation to achieve your strategic goals
- 30-50 Winning Moves for future implementation
- List of Tactics your team can execute quickly
- Alignment on a shared vision, set of goals and most important leverage points
The Outthinker Process Workshop
A STRATEGIC AND INNOVATIVE THINKING WORKSHOP. In times of change, the ability to see innovative strategic options becomes critical for continued success. Innovation isn’t accidental. We often think of innovation as an elusive trait that leaders and teams either have or will never have. In fact, an innovative culture can be cultivated. The Outthinker Process uses proven principles and processes to equip leaders and their teams with an easy, practical, repeatable, innovative strategy framework. Our clients prove that this method quickly infuses their corporate culture with a focused toolset and narrative, continuously driving them to outthink and outperform their competition.
Organizational success necessitates thinking beyond obvious solutions. Businesses tend to trap themselves into thinking of options 1, 2, and 3: the obvious strategies. The Outthinker Process unlocks creative and even crazy solutions: a 4th Option® never previously conjured or considered possible. Teams using the Outthinker Process discover 4th Option breakthroughs and come to appreciate that competitors have no way of anticipating these strategies.
In the Outthinker Process Workshop, participants start by working through a business case to master the process, common language, and core tools. Participants then deepen their skills by applying learnings to an existing business challenge. By immediately practicing this new framework, participants build their confidence and reinforce how easy and compelling it is to design innovative breakthrough strategies.
The Outthinker Process is Outthinker’s core strategic innovation program and is based on the book “Outthink the Competition” by our founder, Dr. Kaihan Krippendorff. Drawing on hundreds of history’s most innovative global strategic thinkers and firms, our process is designed to help leaders infuse strategic clarity into their organizations.
Participants in the Outthinker Process Workshop will:
- Build strategic and innovative thinking skills
- Learn and gain command over a set of strategic and innovative thinking tools
- Gain real-world practice applying these tools
- Construct 4th Option solutions, innovative ideas with the potential to disrupt the market
- Feel ready to apply the tools and methodology immediately at work
Organizational Return On Investment
After implementing in The Outthinker Process, your organization will:
- Approach business challenges more strategically and innovatively
- Elevate your level of intrapreneurial intensity, the frequency and degree with which people seek innovative growth opportunities
- Know how to achieve strategic clarity, aligning teams and organizations around one strategy
- Have identified several disruptive growth ideas
- Have adopted tools to unlock innovative solutions to pressing business problems
- Infuse greater innovative and strategic thinking throughout the organization
“Using the [Outthinker] process created an entirely different way of solving business problems. It was as though someone suddenly opened the floodgate; there was a whole new flow of ideas and energy.”
Country Manager, Microsoft
“[Outthinker] delivers cutting-edge business concepts with unique unique tools in a way that inspires leaders to think differently.”
Robert Cancalosi, Chief Learning Officer
Hazel Jackson, CEO of bis-group
Doug Sharp, President of GP Strategies (GPX)
The Outthinker Process Workshop :: Sample Agenda & Timing (adjusted to suit your needs)
The Outthinker Process Workshop is designed for your managers to learn an easy framework to apply innovative thinking to solve a real-world challenge within your business today.
The key tenets for innovative and strategic thinking should:
- Come naturally
- Include agile thinking
- Create 4th Options
- Start with the end goal in mind
- Look where others don’t look
- Apply strategic narratives and pattern recognition
- Explore crazy ideas
- Creatively approach the political challenges within an organization
|Intros :: 15 min.|
|Rapid warm-up exercise :: 15 min.|
|Case study or company-specific challenge :: 80 min.|
|Imagine :: define future context and goals :: 60 min.|
|Lunch :: 60 min.|
|Dissect :: identify strategic leverage points :: 45 min.|
|Expand :: learn strategic narratives to generate hypotheses :: 45 min.|
|Break :: 15 min.|
|Analyze :: clarify disruptive priorities :: 30 min.|
|Sell :: build buy-in, alignment and execution :: 15 min.|
|Closing :: 15 min.|
Our IDEAS framework captures the key conversations our research shows lead to truly innovative strategies. Most formal strategy processes miss one or more of these steps which is why they lead to uninspired plans.
Imagine: working on a pressing issue within your business, multiple small groups of participants (5-7 people) explore the ideal goals; concretely identifying future goals helps to drive and define the right strategic question(s) to ask
Dissect: while focusing on the same pressing issue, participants explore the full breadth of leverage points and decide in which areas the strategy should focus
Expand: applying the successful strategies used by top tier companies, participants brainstorm multiple potential solutions
Analyze: sorting through the ideas, groups ensure that they create space to explore seemingly crazy ideas, ultimately reaching clarity on their proposed strategy
Selling: presenting ideas to the broader group, ideas are captured and fed back to leadership in a consistent format; discussing and exploring your firm’s political landscape helps groups define the execution tools and implementation plans
The Outthinker Process is designed for senior executives and their high-potential managers seeking repeatable ways to produce and implement innovative strategies.
Companies and industries have unique dynamics that shape 4th Options. Outthinker can customize your process:
- Customize your playbook: select the five strategies most relevant to your industry and situation by analyzing your market’s top performers.
- Customize examples: research and incorporate 5-10 short examples specific to your industry and/or situation.
- Incorporate key strategic concepts: integrate important concepts, such as Five Forces or Economies of Scope, that you feel are particularly important for participants to learn.
- Customize the case: select or even develop a customized business case that matches your situation/goals.
- Create competitor playbooks: analyze and incorporate your competitors’/peers’ playbooks for participants to think from a different perspective.
- Incorporate your organization’s vision, goals and priorities: imbed key elements of your current mission, vision, and strategic goals to build broad understanding
RECOMMENDED OUTTHINKER IMPLEMENTATIONS
The Outthinker Process can be structured to address innovative and strategic thinking in two ways:
- Solve real-time strategic issues
- Provide a practical framework to unleash innovative thinking across multiple organizational levels
CLIENT IMPLEMENTATION EXAMPLES:
CREATING A DISCIPLINE OF INNOVATION AND STRATEGIC THINKING: A high-tech firm needed its top director-level team members to develop a “strategy execution” core competency. While these directors weren’t charged with setting corporate strategy, they needed to hone their skills to develop a “strategy that supported the strategy.” The Outthinker Process was conducted across the firm’s Europe, Asia, and several North America locations, where participants focused on a current strategic challenge at hand and generated a deep quiver of 4th Option solutions. Individuals then partnered with their cohorts and coaches to iterate the ideas to identify Winning Moves. Our approach supported the chief strategy officer’s corporate directive by cultivating practical innovation tools and expertise deep and broad within the organization. Ultimately, the Outthinker Process gave these directors the confidence and common approach to positively support the overarching corporate strategy.
CREATING AN INNOVATIVE AND STRATEGIC PLAN FOR A CURRENT BUSINESS CHALLENGE: The top team of a business unit was struggling to find a way to maintain its rapid 3-year growth. They sought a new, inspiring 3-year growth strategy that wasn’t a traditional top-down approach, and that would enjoy buy-in from those beyond the boardroom.
They set out by identifying 250 high-performing managers from all divisions to participate in the Outthinker Process.
Small teams worked through the growth challenges and developed new 4th Options to realize their goals. We coached the groups all the way through the refinement of their presentations. In the final stage, we conducted a strategy review for groups to pitch plans to top management. The Outthinker Process ultimately resulted in 10 innovative plans interwoven into a holistic growth strategy, linking every customer segment, product, and support group. Most importantly, 250 top-tier influential managers understood and were committed to the plan because they had created it and owned it.